DAY 10 M 30 Sep AW V. 1.0, 0804013
DATAVIZ: FROM DATA TO OPEN INFORMATION TO EMBEDDED KNOWLEDGE
“We are in the early stages of moving from
being an Information engine to becoming a Knowledge engine”
– Google re the Knowledge Graph
“The Knowledge Graph is built up from everybody else’s shared searches”
– Google re the Knowledge Graph
“Self Knowledge Through Numbers”
– The Quantified Self (QS) Movement
1. How best make public knowledge public, open, useful, usable?
3. What are best case representations of embedded, contextualized data – transparent to task and purpose?
4. What is Facebook’s Graph search & how is it similar or different from Google Knowledge Graph?
5. Is Big Data an Economic Big Dud?
6. What is the significance of the Quantified Self (QS) Movement?
4:30-5:00 EST Teams browse & discuss 1. dataviz assignments and 2. their own best embedded knowledge/data cases. Make concept maps
5:00-5:30 Teams present concept maps of Dataviz assignments and their best embedded knowledge/data cases. What do you like, don’t like, agree, disagree, don’t understand, want to know more about.
5:30-6:00 Teams work on their RESEARCH PLAN and PROJECT PLAN. Instructors crit. individual teams.
6:15-7:00 Teams work on their RESEARCH PLAN and PROJECT PLAN. Instructors crit. individual teams.
7:00-7:20 PS PRESENTS ASSIGNMENT 10 + CLASS DISCUSSES. All general discussion about the course, student expectations, questions, concerns
7:20 CLASS END
ASSIGNMENT 10-A: IDEATE
1. Read IDEATE NETWORK PROSPECTUS: IDEATE summary March 2013 Thanassis Rikakis, Prepare to question, critique, compare, contrast with other cross-disciplinary initiatives. Prepare to discuss how IDEATE NETWORK work might advance, amplify, accelerate, scale innovation in yourDXF LAB pathway.
Go to https://dtf-2013.wikispaces.com/materials to read the materials assigned below:
ASSIGNMENT 10-B: PERSONA-BASED SCENARIOS
Up to now, we have explored possible futures broadly and generally from our own personal points of view as well as the points of view of planners, economists, political scientists and futurists who create future strategic scenarios for public, private and civil organizations. Now it is time to begin to DEXIGN THE FUTURE. To do that, we need people to design for, with and by – people who are going to inhabit and experience the future, specifically LIFE2050 in PGH3.0 – people who are not us and not today’s futurists, scholars and experts. A way designers do this is through PERSONA-BASED SCENARIOS.
Following are some of the Collective Invention templates and frameworks we will refer to in the next class. to do the next steps. Students that thoughtfully view this material will have an advantage as we follow the next 3 steps:
1. Build Persona Profiles CI_Personas_toolkit#2
2. Conduct Field Research CI_Personas_toolkit#2
3. Create Persona-Based Scenarios: – Collective Invention FamilyofYou Booklet – Collective Invention WBCSD LIFESTYLE 2050 CHARRETTE WORKBOOK – Collective Invention LIFE 2050 Online Overview http://life2050.collectiveinvention.com – Collective Invention 2012 Retrospective http://bit.ly/13HCrBn SCENARIOS & PERSONAS
REFERENCE & RESOURCES For further exploration TBD
STUDENT-CENTERED OUTCOMES: Measurable or Observable Knowledge, Skills, Attributes, Ability to Apply, Interpret, Create, Design, Explain, etc. TBD