THE METROPOLITAN REVOLUTION
“Pittsburgh named Most Livable City again in 2013”
“By 2050, 70% of us will live in cities; by 2100, 80% of us”
“The metro region is the unit of economic, social, political and environmental design”
- Why was PGH named Most Livable City in America two years in a row?
- What is PLANPGH – the city’s first Comprehensive Plan for growth to 2035?
- How do you design a metropolitan region for an uncertain future
Homework due before class: upload notes on PLAN PGH to personal page on course wiki.
4:30-5:30 EST Andrew Dash and Justin Miller, Senior Planners, Pittsburgh present PLANPGH Process & Timeline + Discussion: How might student teams connect their semester project – LIFE2050 in PGHX.0 – to the PLANPGH Process?
5:30-6:00 EST Student dyads interview each other: What are your reactions, thoughts, questions about PLAN PGH.
Compare & contrast different approaches to future visioning: PLANPGH, Redesigning Singapore, Design2050, WBCSD and other futures organizations and their work?
How might designers use/contribute to long horizon vision scenarios? How would you make
these Plans, Maps, Pathways & Tools more useful/usable to accelerate & scale diffusion, acceptance, adoption/execution?
Make a concept map: What we like, don’t like, question, would change, agree with, disagree with, don’t understand, want to know more about. Compare, Contrast, Evaluate, Good/Not good about these different approaches. Refer to the Heuristic Design Framework.(10+10+20).
Dyads present their consolidated findings.
6:00-6:15 EST Break
6:15 -6:30 EST All discuss best structure for semester project – Life2050 in PGHX.0:
– By Components as in PLANPGH or Pathways as in WBCSD? Other?
– By PGH Neighborhood?
– By System MetaSectors?
– How do (should?) PLANPGH goals link to/advance larger global goals like WBCSD, OECD, UN MILLENNIAL GOALS, WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM, etc.?
-6:30-7:00 Dyads make a concept map: What we like, don’t like, question, would change, agree with,
disagree with, don’t understand, want to know more about. Compare, Contrast, Evaluate, Good/Not
good about these alternative structures. Refer to the Heuristic Design Framework. Dyads present
their concept maps. All discuss project structures. Post concept maps on wall.
7:00 PS PRESENTS ASSIGNMENT 3 + CLASS DISCUSSES. All general discussion about the course, student expectations, questions, concerns
7:20 CLASS END
OTHER REFERENCE & RESOURCES For further exploration:
RE-IMAGINING THE GREATER PITTSBURGH REGION. These two documents are courtesy of Kristin Hughes, Associate Professor, School of Design, CMU: Summary PDF: GREATER PITTSBURGH Note that the FRAMING THE REGION report proposes to shape the region around six themes: PLACE, SOCIETY, ECONOMY, MOVEMENT, ENVIRONMENT, DEMOCRACY.
THE DESIGN 2050 CHALLENGE: LIFE @ 1 PLANET – OR NAUGHT: CLICK ON ROADMAP IMAGE TO OPEN PDF
STUDENT-CENTERED OUTCOMES: Measurable or Observable Knowledge, Skills, Attributes, Ability to Apply, Interpret, Create, Design, Explain, etc. TBD
A. View, download & prepare to evaluate & discuss
– Alternative Future Visions: Compare & Contrast Hardin Global Collapse scenario vs Carlota Perez/Sixth Wave theory. ALTERNATIVE FUTURE SCENARIOS
– Perez Surge Waves:
– Ged Davis presentations: “Thinking about 2050: Shaping the Design Agenda.”
PDF Slides: Ged Davis Thinking About 2050
What are the key points Ged is making. What are your pros, cons, questions? Want to know more about?
How could designers apply Ged’s thinking, in particular the Long Wave Model and the 3 Future Frameworks?
– ALTERNATIVE WORLDS: GLOBAL TRENDS 2030: Read in particular: Executive Summary: MEGATRENDS, TECTONIC SHIFTS, GAME-CHANGERS, BLACK SWANS, ALTERNATIVE WORLDS pp. i – xiv. Also read or closely scan: CHAPTER 3, ALTERNATIVE WORLDS pp. 111 – 137
B. Be prepared to compare & contrast these kinds of future scenarios with dramatized visions of utopian futures like:
– FUTURAMA 1939 NY Worlds Fair http://bit.ly/16YDqM2 Original video plus Wired article.
– Phillips future design visioning. TBD
– 2057-The City-Episode 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gumT0i9mo Browse other playlist videos in this Discovery Channel series
– Top Ten Future Technologies That Are Here Today video: http://bit.ly/18YAy1c
– Are droids taking our jobs? Andrew McAfee’s TED Talk: http://bit.ly/1cRZkpb This is a Big Deal talk. Is he right?
– The Singularity Is Near, Ray Kurzweil film trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWXJDgbeP0@link. Browse accompanying playlists
“Half of what Ray Kurzweil predicts is always right. The other half is bullshit. But you never know which half.”
– Marvin Minsky
Prepare to evaluate & discuss: What are the key propositions being presented? How useful are future worlds, Ged Davis, Perez, The Global Trends 2030 Alternative Worlds, The Singularity, et al? How can designers use/contribute to future scenarios and alternative worlds like these?
4-B. Students view & take online KOLB Learning Style Inventory
LINK TO ONLINE INVENTORY TBD
SCRUM TaskBoard, Team Charter
Prepare to discuss: Results & implications of Learning Style Inventory, Taskboard & Charter
PREMISE: THE WORK OF DAVE, DAVID, THANASSIS (&TIM ?) IS THE FUTURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION (FUC?)
USE THEIR WORK AS CONCRETE CONTEXTS FOR STUDENT TEAM PROJECTS.
FOR THE SEMESTER PROJECT
WHAT WOULD IT MEAN FOR LIFE 2050 IN PGH 3.0 TO SCALE UP &BUILD OUT THEIR WORK IN WAYS THAT DEFINE THE PGH 3.0 METRO REGION.
(THINK GRAND BUT NOT GRANDIOSE)
TELL THE STORIES (BRING THIS TO LIFE) THROUGH LIFE2050 PERSONA SCENARIOS
(SHOW MY COLOMBIA MARIA SANTOS STORY AS AN EXAMPLE)
(SHOW CI LEARNING 2025 STORY AS AN EXAMPLE)
WE NEED 3 OR 4 MORE “FUTURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION” CONTEXTS
DESIGN BASED LEARNING K-12
SEE ALISON CRANE PAPER & ASW MOCKUP OF WEBSITE
SEE INDEX LEARNING TO IMPROVE LIFE
IDSA DESIGN LEARNING CHALLENGE
HEALTH & WELLNESS?
“CITIZENVILLE” BIG DATA & GOVERNANCE.?
GAVIN NEWSOME PODCAST
DORIS WELLS PAPANEK 2013 IDSA PRESENTATION?
SUSTAINABLE PRODUCTION & CONSUMPTION?
SEE “THE STORY OF STUFF”
SEE AUTODESK VIDEOS (GET DAWN DANBY TO DO PRESENTATION)
SEE AL GORE: “THE FUTURE: SIX DRIVERS OF GLOBAL CHANGE”
BRAIN RESEARCH MOONSHOT
SINGULARITY UNIVERSITY (H.G. WELLS’S WORLD MIND?) RAY KURZWEIL
HAVE ED FEIGENBAUM GIVE A LECTURE ON “DESIGN +.TECHNOLOGY +. IDEAS+ =. INNOVATION