DAY 11 W OCT 2 AW V. 1.0, 072713
“IDEATE: Integrated Design, Arts, Technology, and Engineering”
– Thanassis Rikakis
“Is IDEATE the kernel of a New Learning Architecture?
– Arnold Wasserman
1. What might it mean to build out the IDEATE model to encompass all of CMU, grad & undergrad?
2. What might it mean to scale the IDEATE model to K-12? for all of PGH? And beyond?
3. What might it mean to LIFE2050 – Social, Economic, Entrepreneurial, Creative, Environmental – if IDEATE were the Learning Architecture for the PGH3.0 Metro Region?
4. How can I see a Systems Map of the IDEATE NETWORK?
5. What might the work of CMU’s IDEATE NETWORK mean for LIFE2050 in PGH X.0 scenarios ?
6. What might the IDEATE agenda mean as EARLY SIGNAL/FUTURE SIGN for your DXF LAB focus area?
7. How might the work of the IDEATE NETWORK advance, amplify, accelerate, scale innovation in your DXF LAB pathway?
SCHEDULE 4:30-5:30pm: Visit & discussion with Prof. Thanassis Rikakis, Vice Provost for Design, Arts & Technology and Director, IDEATE NETWORK. Students discuss, question, challenge, explore IDEATE NETWORK further in discussion with Prof. Rikakis. – Teams capture discussion in notes & concept maps.
5:30-6:00pm: Teams present how IDEATE might advance, amplify, accelerate, scale innovation in your DXF LAB pathway
“Innovation is not what innovators create but what people adopt”
– Michael Schrage, MIT Media Lab Fellow, Author, Serious Play
6:15-7:00pm: Persona-Based Scenarios: Introduction & Discussion
Up to now, this class has pursued the following activities : 1. FORESIGHT: we have explored possible ways to think about NORMATIVE SCENARIOS for LIFE2050 broadly and generally through discussion from our own personal points of view as well as surveying scenarios from planners, economists, political scientists and futurists who create future strategic scenarios for public, private and civil organizations. We have familiarized ourselves with PLANPGH, the comprehensive plan for metropolitan Pittsburgh to horizon year 2035. Class teams have identified three pathways toward desired futures to explore as their design lab project; i.e.: LEARNPGH, SHAREPGH and OPPORTUNITYPGH.
2. FARSIGHT & INSIGHT: We have begun to look laterally at “the edges” of design to adjacent fields in order to discern EARLY SIGNALS/FUTURE SIGNS of FORCES OF CHANGE that are likely to shape the future and suggest opportunities to proactively DEXIGN THE FUTURE.
Now it is time to try to step away from our own personal biases and preconceptions and begin to envision the future from the perspective and the lived experience of the people who are going to live in the future. To do that, we need people to design for, with and by – people who are going to inhabit and experience the future, specifically LIFE2050 in PGH3.0 – people who are not us and not today’s planners, futurists, scholars and experts. A way designers do this is through PERSONA-BASED SCENARIOS – narratives of the future (sometimes called “future fictions”) told through the lived experience of PERSONAS – composite characters usually comprised of characteristics drawn from informed imagination and present day observed study subjects.
We conduct EXPEDITIONARY TREKS to observe and interview real people today in their accustomed situations. Here our purpose is not to gather projectable statistical data. Rather it is to uncover what interests, influences and motivates peoples’ attitudes, behavior and lifestyle today and how they express their concerns, dilemmas and hopes for the future. These serve as data points of reference for attributes and salient patterns that might inform future persona profiles and scenario narratives for our FUTURE PERSONA cast of characters.
Following are some of the Collective Invention templates and frameworks we will refer to in creating a gallery of FUTURE PERSONAS.
This PERSONAS TOOLKIT was prepared for a workshop at INDEX, Denmark.:
1. Build Persona Profiles CI_Personas_toolkit#2 Pp. 1 -7 show a template for building a PERSONA MANDALA or profile. You can substitute content relevant to your own field of focus.
2. Conduct Field Research CI_Personas_toolkit#2 Pp. 8 – 12 show templates for an EXPEDITION TREK to observe and interview subjects in the field. Following pages are example templates for PORTRAIT CARDS to be filled in to build out the PERSONA MANDALA.
3. The Family of You 2050 Collective Invention FamilyofYou Booklet Each team will create a family of six personas, two each for each team member. These personas should be as differential from one another along as many dimensions as possible – DEMOGRAPHIC, PSYCHOGRAPHIC, and SOCIOGRAPHIC, GEOGRAPHIC and IDEOGRAPHIC (see p. 8 Glossary of Terms in CI_Personas_toolkit#2
Here is an example of how to think of positioning your personas along differential dimensions in order to ensure that they represent as wide a range of attitudinal, emotional and behavioral motivators and influencers as possible: CSCP Personas dimensionsV1.0
Where is this course heading? The final deliverable of each LIFE2050 LAB will be a presentation of Persona-Based Scenarios for LIFE2050 in PGH3.0. Here are some examples of how we use personas to create PERSONA-BASED FUTURE SCENARIOS. The final deliverables of this course should be some combination of features from these examples – plus any other methods, techniques. media, platforms, frameworks or tools you choose to add – that best support the NORMATIVE FUTURE SCENARIO vision you want to portray: –Collective Invention FamilyofYou Booklet Collective Invention WBCSD LIFESTYLE 2050 CHARRETTE WORKBOOK – Collective Invention LIFE 2050 Online Overview http://life2050.collectiveinvention.com – Collective Invention 2012 Retrospective http://bit.ly/13HCrBn http://bit.ly/1c5xFQN http://bit.ly/16GV2yS http://bit.ly/1hloERp
7:00-7:20pm AW & PS PRESENT ASSIGNMENT 10 + CLASS DISCUSSES. All general discussion about the course, student expectations, questions, concerns
7:20pm CLASS END
ASSIGNMENT 11: Teams present their Family of You 2050 Personas v. 1.0
REFERENCE & RESOURCES For further exploration: Here is an overview paper by Arnold Wasserman on the subject of Scenarios & Personas: SCENARIOS & PERSONAS
Measurable or Observable Knowledge, Skills, Attributes, Ability to Apply, Interpret, Create, Design, Explain, etc. TBD
OTHER REFERENCES & SOURCES TBD